Friday, September 19, 2008

My Daughter's Dibbuk

For a traditional Jew Shabbat is a special day, a day of peace, reflection, and joy. For me it is also a day of just a little fear.

There is a beautiful tradition in which parents bless their children - placing their hands gently on the heads of their offspring and reciting a blessing in Hebrew.

My daughter hates this custom. At first we thought perhaps I was squeezing her head too hard (my son had that complaint, but I became more careful.) My little girl runs screaming when I approach, yelling, "Don't bless me! Don't bless me! I don't like this!"

My wife still blames me (a good first instinct on most things) and my heavy hands. But I have my own theory - I am waiting to see if she spins her head all the way around.

Anyone know a rabbi who does exorcisms?

Meanwhile, my son offers to be blessed twice, I keep trying to tell him it doesn't work that way.

1 comment:

Kol Ra'ash Gadol said...

It doesn't work that way? Are you sure? Cf the biblical story of Jacob and Esau.
But in any case, my DS won't let me bless him either. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.