Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Generation Gap & Super-Heroes

“Dad,” GoofBoy asked, “Who is your favorite super-hero?”

Without hesitation I answered, “Wonder Woman.”

“Really, if you could be any super-hero, you’d be Wonder Woman?” he asked, surprised.

“I didn’t say I wanted to be her – I said she was my favorite.”

“Why? Her powers aren’t that cool – not like Green Lantern or the Flash.”

“Yes, but she is the super-hero I would most want to have rescue me!”

“Really, you’d want to be saved by a girl?”

“Buddy, I would set a building on fire to have Wonder Woman carry me out!”

He walked away shaking his head, muttering to himself, “Grown-ups!”

He didn’t grow up with Linda Carter as Wonder Woman.

In a thousand ways, GoofBoy has things better. Video games and cartoons made now are so much better then what I grew up with (plus he can still see the best of my era on Cartoon Network or online. He laughs when I tell him about the incredibly bad stuff I used to watch on TV like H.R. Pufnstuf (which always creeped me out) and the other strange emanations from the minds of Sid and Marty Kroft.

Wii and DS vs. Atari is a no-brainer, (although it is satisfying to break out the old Atari system and whip him at “Combat” and “Missile Command.”) But there are a few things my generation had – particularly an awesome Wonder Woman.

No comments: