Sunday, November 20, 2011

Timeless (and Clueless) Boys

As the father of a son and a daughter, I am fascinated by the differences between boys and girls. I am aware of the basic differences of course – anatomy, tolerance for dirt, interest in references to obscure television shows from youth, and of course the complex social interactions - but the developmental stuff fascinates me.

GoofBoy is heading towards that exhilarating time of adolescence (the school is getting ready to discuss this – better them then me, I offer no sure counsel!) But, like most boys, he seems to want to put it off. I am pretty sure I can handle an adolescent boy – they are like other males of the species just dumber.

An adolescent girl is another thing altogether. I have a few years, but less then I would hope. Apparently girls are entering adolescence younger and younger. Discussions of boyfriends have thankfully not started. GoofGirl is afraid of churches because, in movies she has seen, that is where kissing occurs – I consider this fear quite healthy, at least for the time being.

Still I often read and hear about girls entering adolescence early. Fortunately, for dads out there, while the girls are trying to grow up too fast and showing an interest in boys all too soon. This is not being reciprocated. Wonderful, dunder-headed boys haven’t changed a bit. I am certain that if you dropped GoofBoy into the 1950s, 1930s or even earlier he would find some other boys and they would immediately wander off into the woods to throw rocks and break stuff. The freedom to explore enjoyed by kids decades ago, along with the lack of bathing would probably lead the boys to prefer the past to the present. If he could take a solar panel with his DSi he would be in heaven.

Boys are timeless.

No comments: