Friday, July 04, 2008

Father Goof's Fourth



Pyrotechnics are nice, but I try to teach my kids something about the meaning of our national holidays. So, over and over again I recite to my kids these beautiful lines from the Declaration of Independence:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the purfuit of Happineff.
Cheap joke at the expense of our Founding Fathers? Maybe, but they can take it. And in making my son laugh a bit about it, he also remembers these profound words about a government that, by design, seeks to help its people live a decent life. Imagine that - a country that in its central founding document wants its citizens to at least have a fair shot at not merely survival - but happiness.

No comments: