Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Olympic Goofs

Like all little girls my daughter thinks she will be a figure skater, but she is also interested in hockey - she takes after me - she wants to hit people with sticks.

-----

It is nice how, when figure skaters fall, the crowd cheers when they get back up to finish their routine. I was explaining to my son how this exemplifies the Olympic spirit of health competition and sportsmanship. He asked if the Winter Olympics were ever held in Philadelphia. I had told him about the great baseball player/character Jay Johnstone who said they boo everything in Philly, when the team wasn't playing Phillies fans would go to the airport and boo landings. We agreed a Philly Olympics would be fun, they'd boo falls, luge wipeouts, and ski-jumps. But they'd cheer for blood on the ice.

-----

While watching ski-racing my son was clutching his Nintendo controller.

"Buddy," I asked him, "What are you doing?"

He just grinned.

"Do you think you are controlling the race?"

His grin turned sheepish, "I'm the one in front."

"Of course you are."

It was late, I sent him to bed without his gold.

No comments: